I was feeling a bit like this raven lunatic at times today, but I learned a few things, and that’s always good. I thought I would share them with you, to possibly save you a little time and trouble. I’m always wanting to help, you know. Maybe you already know some of them, but just in case, here are a few of my learnings and (mostly) holiday tips:
- If your mood is already ‘iffy’, going through the garage and pulling out all the holiday decorations is not going to help improve it. Seriously.
- If somebody (a grown son, let’s say) offers to put up the outdoor lights, don’t assume that just because he’s an engineer, he’ll actually think through where the cords will be plugged in. You might just find yourself having to plug them in in three different places (one being the dark corner of the garage that requires the use of a flashlight); with a long extension cord hanging down the side of the house from the 2nd floor; and another thick cord coming in through a window on the 2nd floor so that you can’t close it. It could happen.
- Before you go meandering through the neighborhood because there’s a break in the rainy weather, turn off the homemade soup that’s heating on the stove.
- If something has not been displayed in years, count on it taking ten times longer to set up than it should. (For example, a German wooden pyramid purchased 30 years ago when living in Hamburg.) By the time you dust it using Q-tips to get in the tiny spaces, glue together the loose candle holders, take it apart to figure out why it’s not spinning smoothly, put it back together again, glue loose candle holders together again
and again and again, then finally get it going, you’ll have lost a couple of hours and it’ll be dark outside.
- It’s a mathematical certainty that 80% of the glues you own are dried up (this isn’t so much a tip, more like a fact.) Count on it.
- Do not expect the cute little kitty to be as excited about the reindeer kitty hat as you are.
- Always keep tissue handy
for whenin case kitty draws blood.
But the best tip of all? When your frustration level reaches a peak, a good old-fashioned grilled cheese sandwich will change everything! True!
Of course, it’ll all be worth it when the grand-girlies lay their eyes on the magical twirling pyramid (just so long as we keep cute kitty’s tail away from the flames). Ahh, note to self: keep the fire extinguisher within easy reach…